Fifth Annual Meeting of the BICA Society
November 7-9 (Friday-Sunday): Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge,MA 02139, USA (http://bicasociety.org/meetings/2014).
Sponsors: The BICA Society; The MIT; Elsevier B.V.; DOLLabs, Inc. Points of contact: Paul Robertson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Alexei Samsonovich (email@example.com)
Early Career Researcher Workshop Track (ECRT) with Free Atlantic Boat Cruise
Call for Participation
Dear Faculty and Students:
The BICA Society and Elsevier are delighted to invite you to join the Early Career Researcher Workshop Track (ECRT) that will take place during BICA 2014 Annual International Conference. The event is scheduled for Saturday, November 8th at the MIT Stata Center and will continue with a 3-hour cruise on the Elite II.
The cruise will begin following the ECRT session at 6 pm, and will include a banquet, a “Senior Meets Junior Researcher” social event on the lower deck, followed by a cocktail party on the upper deck. The transportation between MIT and the harbor will be provided.
The purpose of ECRT is to help students and young scientists learn how to:
• Plan and conduct your research
• Get published in mainstream journals
• Market your results to a funding agency
• Present and talk about your work
• Promote your research through new media
Invited speakers include:
• Patrick H. Winston, Ford Professor of AI and CS at MIT (Cambridge, MA)
• Louis Lome, a retired DoD S&T Program Manager (Arlington, VA)
• Sweitze Roffel, sr. Publisher from Elsevier B.V. (Amsterdam)
• Paul Robertson, Chief Scientist, Dynamic Object Language Labs (Boston, MA)
• Jennifer Chang, Global director from Mendeley (New York)
Registration and Cruise TicketsParticipation is free, but advanced registration is required to participate in the ECRT. In total, 40 free cruise tickets will be provided to ECRT participants. Each of the first 20 registered participants is a guaranteed winner of a cruise ticket. The remaining tickets will be given to randomly selected registrants. You must be present to receive a cruise ticket award. All 40 tickets will be provided during the ECRT session.
Registration for ECRT opens Tuesday, October 14th at 8 AM EST, and will continue until the event starts on November 8th. Young researchers from MIT, Harvard, and all institutions in the Boston area are eligible to register.
To register for the ECRT please visit and submit your information at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MIT_Elsevier
Be sure to check pictures of the Elite II harbor cruise on this page below.
We look forward to seeing you on November 8th,
--BICA 2014 Organizing Committee
- 10:00 am - 10:10 am: Sweitze Roffel. Introduction
- 10:10 am – 11:00 pm: Louis Lome. Multidisciplinary opportunities for collaboration in bio-inspired computing.
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm: Patrick H. Winston. How to speak
- 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm: Lunch on your own
- 1:30 pm – 2:15 pm: Jennifer Chang. Promoting your research through new media
- 2:15 pm – 3:00 pm: Sweitze Roffel. The art of publishing and ensuring discoverability of your research
- 3:00 pm – 3:30 pm: Coffee break
- 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Open Plenary Session
- 5:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Break
- 5:15 pm – 5:30 pm: Boarding the bus
- 5:45 pm – 6:00 pm: Boarding the boat
- 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm: Cruise, including the “Charting Your Course” discussion panel, a seated banquet on the lower deck, and a cocktail party on the upper deck
- 9:00 pm – 9:30 pm: Transportation back to MIT